Chargers stung by the Jackets late in the game

The Northwood Chargers football team traveled to Sanford on Friday evening for a tough non-conference matchup against Lee County High School. After leading the majority of the game, Northwood gave up a late touchdown that ended up being the game winner.

At the onset of the contest neither team was successful in advancing the ball and both were forced to punt on their opening drives. Northwood’s second possession looked as if it would also stall out, however the drive was extended on fake punt pass to Colby Stallings which moved the chains. This led to a 39 yard field goal Matt Streets and the Chargers had a 3-0 lead after the first quarter.

Northwood’s defense was stout the entire game as players swarmed to the ball including Kolt Jones, Tyrell Baldwin, B.J. Harrington and the Queen brothers, Michael and Hunter. Early in the second quarter after getting the ball back, Northwood attempted to go for it on 4th and 1 but fumbled on the play which gave the ball back to the Yellow Jackets in their own half. However the D stepped up again and forced a turnover on downs.

Unfortunately in Northwood’s next possession they gave the ball up again on an interception. But not to be left out of the turnover battle, Lee County fumbled on their next possession and the ball was recovered by Jones. At that point in time it became the Montel Goods show who ripped off some big runs and eventually punched it in from the 2 yard line. The Chargers led 10-0 with 4:21 left in the half.

The Yellow Jackets were able to put together a nice drive of their own and answered with a score. Northwood led 10-7 at halftime.

The Chargers held their lead for the majority of the second half but were unable to add to it. Hunter Queen had a huge interception in the third quarter while Lee County was driving and returned for it 30 yards to the 50 yard line but multiple penalties forced the ball back it up to 12 yard line. Northwood was unable to advance the ball afterwards. After Lee County was also unable to advance the ball and punted the ball back to Northwood, the Chargers were intercepted again to give the ball in great field position to the Yellow Jackets.

It looked as if it was a sure opportunity to score for Lee County but to start the fourth quarter Northwood’s Brendan Harrington intercepted a pass in the end zone. In Northwood’s next possession Goods ripped off another 30 yard run but eventually had to punt. Lee County took advantage of their opportunity this time and drove the field which ended with a touchdown pass to Justin Bethea from Jory Perkins with just over five minutes left on the clock, 10-14. That proved to be the game winner as Northwood was unable to score late in the game. Final Lee County 14, Northwood 10.

Click here to view/buy photos from the game

Screen Shot 2015-09-19 at 10.34.49 AM

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *